Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Trade Post - Waiting 'til Next Year

I haven't had the opportunity to participate in too many group breaks over the last few months, either I miss signing up for them or my LCS has too many of the cards from a new release set aside for me to have it make sense. With respect to Nachos Grande's 2015 Topps Archive break, it came down to funds.  I had bought a couple vintage Giants and with JT Snow as the only Giant in the auto list I figured I would tackle the set on the secondary market.

Fortunately for me, Tom from Waiting 'til Next Year, picked up his beloved Cubs (and got a heck of a break with those Cubs - Congrats!) and got the Giants as his random team.  Before even getting the cards from the break, he reached out to me and we decided to embark on another trade.  I am super happy with how it turned out, check out all these Giants.
 Here is the Giants team set, they were represented in all 3 designs with a heavy volume in the 1983 Design.  In addition to these 5, both SPs are 1983 designs.  I am glad to see some HOFers mixed in, especially my favorite player - McCovey hasn't been too represented so far in the 2015 collecting cycle.

To me the most disappointing aspect of Archives this year was the lack of inserts.  I was able to get all the Giants inserts in this trade and as you can see there were only 4.  I wish there were 2-3 more insert sets mixed in to the set.

 I scored a Gold Parallel of none other than Buster Posey, it is serial numbered to only 99 copies.  I have to say that the coloring of both the Gold and Silver parallels is a little odd to me but I am really happy to have this card in my collection.

I was also able to pick up 2 buy back cards.  I have picked up a bunch of these in my breaks, through trades, off bid boards and cheaply on Sportlots this year.  It seems kind of silly to strongly desire old cards that were defaced with a silver stamp but send any Giants my way, I love them.

 I was lucky enough to get the JT Snow auto, this was a solid break for the Giants and I am grateful these cards came my way.
Speaking of luck, I got 1 of the 2 Giants SPs in the set.  These were inserted at a rate of something like 1 in every 70 packs.  This was a ridiculous maneuver by Topps but as a team set completionist, I am so happy I got one in the trade.  This photo of knuckleballer Hoyt Wilhelm has been used before but I really like it.  The old times look okay in the 1983 set which happens to be one of my favorites.  I was able to score a Monte Irvin, the other Giants SP on eBay for under $10 delivered so my team set, including SPs, is complete.

A pretty awesome score from a group break I didn't enter, huh?  

 Tom also tossed in a few random Giants highlighted by these well loved Post cards from the early 60s.  I can only imagine being able to cut cards off my cereal boxes today, I wonder if my Dad and Uncle, who were in their early teens around this time, ever picked up any of these.

And finally a random sampling of some of the cooler cards that were included.  While I enjoyed many of the card, the Dinger Duo card is one of my favorites as it is one that I had never seen before and is of the 1959 design - a set I have complete and really appreciate.

Tom, thanks so much for getting the Giants and sending them my way, I really appreciate it!  As I right this I just saw footage that Kris Bryant hit a walk off HR, that Archives auto you scored probably just jumped $10-20 in value.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know there was a second Giant SP. I'm glad you were able to track it down for a reasonable price. The Cubs have five, and I just picked my first one up (Sandberg) from eBay for about the price of the Monte Irvin.

    ReplyDelete