Wednesday, November 4, 2015

My Membership in the T206 Club Expands (And a New Collecting Goal)

I was filing away the awesome T206 card I received from Zippy Zappy into my vintage Giants binder and decided that one isn't enough.  I decided to make a checklist of all the Giants in the set and see if I could perhaps find some reasonably priced T206s to add to my collection.  I am not a stickler for condition usually but I typically like to purchase cards without creases or paper loss but upon researching the available T206 cards and their prices I realized my collection would stay quite small unless I altered my condition expectations.

In the end I decided to look for cards that look good to my eye, creases were perfectly fine and I would even take a little paper loss.  I think I did okay with this card of Chief Myers.  Chief has 3 variations in the set and this is the fielding version (the other 2 are a portrait and batting).


I think the card presents itself just fine and for just about the price of a blaster for a card over a century old I am pretty glad to have it in my collection.

When I researched the Giants in the set, I found that there are 52 Giants cards - I am not concerning myself with the different backs at this point.  As I eluded to in the title of my post, the creation of the checklist and the recent addition of 2 beauties from the set has led to a new collecting goal for me.  I have decided to add one new Giants T206 card to my collection each month.  I am hoping to keep this goal in play throughout the remainder of 2015 and all of 2016 & 2017.  This would get me to about the halfway point of the team set.

I honestly don't see myself ever completing this team set.  There are 3 different Christy Mathewson cards and 4 different John McGraw cards that sell at a premium even in worse condition than this Chief card.  Maybe one day I could score one of each player but I don't want to even set the goal of the team set when it is so far out of reach.

I am pretty excited to be expanding my membership in the T206 club!

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! I'm happy to be a member of the T206 club as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a long time for my first but now that I have one I want more!

      Delete
  2. Very cool project. I was excited to add one T206 to my collection... but hopefully I'll add another to keep him company. Possibly Chief Bender. Now that's a first name that has been lost over this past century. Have fun and best of luck on grabbing as many of these for your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chief Bender is a good target, I think he has 3 different poses.

      Delete
  3. 52? Holy crap that's a lot of cards. And I thought I had it rough with trying to chase down 23 cards. Best of luck. It's always great to add a tobacco card to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In looking at the checklist I saw online, the 52 Giants is far and away the most - the Cubs are next with 36. Just my luck :-)

      Delete
  4. As a guy who's tried building the T206 Highlanders team set on and off these past three years, all I can say is good luck. Even without HoF superstars like Matthewson these team sets are harder to assemble than one would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that by setting a goal of only 50% of them I can avoid frustrations.

      Delete
  5. I'd love to complete the Pirates team set, but there's that Honus Wagner issue I will ultimately run into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard there is a trimmed copy of the Wagner card out there. Maybe you can inquire about a discount on it?

      Delete
  6. I have a portrait of the 1909 NY Giants team. That inspired me to start the T205 team set. Got lucky and found a McGraw for a decent price. Mathewson will be another story. Go here and see what I have so far. The team photo is there too. http://loqtus.webs.com/newyorkgiantst205.htm

    ReplyDelete