Monday, September 26, 2016

McCovey Monday #87 - 2011 Triple Threads Unity Relic 1/1

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1300 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards most Mondays.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

 I just picked up my first Willie McCovey 1/1 in quite a while.  In the days prior to me keeping to a budget and prior to my collecting interests expanding beyond some set building and 4-5 player collections, I was going after each and every McCovey that came onto the market including the super rare cards.  I saw this one come up, put on a reasonable bid and ended up bringing it home.

This isn't my favorite McCovey card of all time, I of course prefer him in the Orange and Black but it is a pretty cool card.  I love the old Taco Bell Padres unis, Willie Mac is sporting a nice smile and of course the shine and that little 1/1 numbering in the top right put a nice smile on my face.

This card brings my McCovey collection to a staggering 1317 different cards!

4 comments:

  1. that's a good get. i also prefer my favorite player in a uniform other than the padre duds, but sometimes it has to be tolerated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are nuts.. players always look better in Padres uniforms! haha

    Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say that it's a pretty swell card regardless of the team affiliation. Of course, I'm an unbiased Midwesterner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything great but the uni. I can't even say I recall him playing there much less his short stay with Oakland:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/aa/38/7a/aa387a43406ba48af180b6dee6b38c4a.jpg

    ReplyDelete