Tuesday, June 2, 2020

7 Day Trading Card Challenge #2


Time to tackle Challenge #2, a card from 2020 with a unique photo.

As a reminder, Tim over at Cardpocalypse put together this 7 Day Trading Card Challenge and here is the whole list:

 

I haven't bought a ton of new cards this year, some retail Topps Series 1, a few packs of Donruss and a Topps Opening Day set with inserts.  Somewhat slim pickings, I wish that Stadium Club was out already as it always has great photo selections.  My mind instantly went to the Opening Day set I got last week and especially the Spring Has Sprung inserts.  However, I showed 5 of those cards in my post and while there were some other great photos in that set I decided to go in another direction.

This nice looking card is from a different Opening Day insert set, Team Traditions and Celebrations.  For some reason the Giants don't seem to get featured in too many of these sets, never a mascot card and rarely featured as a team in Opening Day inserts.  this year was different, they actually got 2 cards in this small set, this Mays statue card and one of a cable car at the stadium.

I picked this as my unique card as it brings back great memories for me.  This Willie Mays statue is right out front the main entrance of Oracle Park (I fondly remember it as Pac Bell Park, its first name upon opening).  This is always my meeting point when I connect with friends for a game.  Any while my favorite player of all time Willie McCovey also has a statue it is located out near McCovey Cove in right field.  It is always worth a walk to go see it but this Mays statue is iconic and it isn't every day that a statue is featured on a baseball card.

2 comments:

  1. This is very cool. I hope to visit it in person sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think I've ever been around the statue when there weren't at least 20 people standing around this plaza. Even though I'm not a fan of the team, I love attending games at Pac Bell.

    ReplyDelete