Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013 Collection Goal Update - 1964 Topps Giants Team Set

I have been pretty active over the last few weeks trying to make progress and/or finish off some 2013 collection goals.  I set a goal to finish up at least 5 of the 10 Giants Topps team sets from the 60s.  I have posted my 1969, 1965 and 1962 sets already. Today I will show off set #4, the 1964 set.

Here are the last few pick ups to finish up the set:

 This card features a pair of rookies, only one of which is a Giant.  The coloring of the top lettering bugs me a bit as it doesn't match the wonderful orange of the cards that are all Giants.

 Here is Don Larsen of World Series Perfect Game fame.  After that impressive and unmatched feat, Don made several stops including KC, Chicago and then San Francisco to join the Giants. His record in 1962 & 63 with the Giants was only 1 game over .500.

 One of my favorite photos in this set is found on HOFer Gaylord Perry's card.  I like the extended arm showing his 2 fingers pointing forward after a pitch is thrown.  There aren't many action shots in this set, this is about as good as it gets.  This was my second to the last pick up for this set and the card is in really nice shape.

The final card I picked up to complete this set isn't in quite as good shape as the Perry but check out the subject matter!  For this card I can forgive the header color and enjoy the great photo of all time greats Hank Aaron and Willie Mays, definitely the top players in the NL.  The multi player cards are quite challenging to pick up at reasonable rates but I am so happy some Giants were included to enhance my collection.

Here is the 1964 set in its entirety along with a bonus Bob Lemke card that once again should make Dodgers fans cringe:





No comments:

Post a Comment