Tuesday, February 4, 2014

2013 Collection Goal Update - 1967 Topps Giants Team Set

It has been about a week since I have posted, things got busy on the work front. I had great intentions and scanned/uploaded some cards to write up some posts but it just hasn't happened.  Long and delayed flights and late night work commitments have just gotten in the way.  I traveled to Philadelphia for work last week and am now down in San Diego this week (talk about contrasting weather).  I did get to enjoy an authentic Philly Cheese Steak which was amazing but the sub 20 degree weather was not.  The work obligations ended a little early so I decided to jump back in and share some cards.

One of my 2013 goals was to complete at least 5 Topps Giants team sets from the 60s and I exceeded those goals.  I am getting around to finishing up the posts celebrating those team sets and here is the 1967 set.  This set is fairly basic in design with the all caps black letters or a white/yellow combo across the top with the players name and position, a facsimile autograph somewhere in the middle and the team name in caps (the Giants are all in green).  Maybe a better, more fitting, color for the Giants team name would improve my impressions of the set.

I am going to share the last 4 cards I needed to complete the set, all were non-stars but 3 of the 4 were higher numbers.

Alou is probably the biggest name of this quad.  This is an interesting picture with a little bit of an odd angle.  I like the spring training backdrop, for some reason these scenes tend to create cards that I really enjoy.

When I look at this Barton card I always am drawn to the sideways signature, it is the only one in the Giants set.  I suspect that is because the photo is such a close up of his face and they didn't want the signature over his chin.

These last two cards were the last I picked up and were somewhat tough to track down at a reasonable price as high numbers.  I find that the pictures are very close to each other and typical of the photography of the 60s.  Nothing exciting about the cards other than the fact they complete my team set.

And speaking of the team set, here it is in all its glory.  There is quite a bit of start power despite the last 4 cards.  I did most of the heavy lifting a little ways back:





No comments:

Post a Comment