Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Who Are These Guys and What Are They Doing As Part of My Giants Collection

I was looking through my folder of scanned cards that I haven't posted and ran across a dozen cards that caused me to pause and think about how I collect and why they were cards I targeted and purchased. Take a look at these dozen cards:

We have the appearance of some nice shine with the Heston card, the Martinez refractor, the Adrianza Prizm and the Kickham Platinum.  We have some beautifully designed cards with the Mejia and Blackburn Bowman Inception cards.  The Mejia Heritage card features a sweet Orange jersey while Fairly is a nice minor league card.  Toss in a Denker Stadium Club and Accardo Artifacts from a couple decent looking sets and you get to your dozen.

While many of these cards have some eye appeal, that isn't why I added them to my collection. The names are not and will not be household names so that can't be it.  The answer is that I have a sickness, no matter what the card, who the player, I want to get my hands on one of every card that features a Giant.  I love adding a quality card to my collection but I realize I am almost an equal fan of quantity as well.

Team collectors, do you fall into the same category? Non-team collectors, are there other ways you collect that are similar in nature?

7 comments:

  1. I see nothing wrong with wanting ever card that features a Giant. If anything, that proves you're mentally stable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you, bud. If it's a Brewer, I want it. I'm torn on those minor league sets from the 1980s on one level -- after all, they are guys in El Paso Diablos uniforms, not Brewers uniforms -- but I'll probably break down eventually on those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I collect sets, so if it's a base card I don't have, I want it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are a team collector there is nothing wrong with wanting cool cards even from prospects and minor leaguers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bear the same pain, though I want them all to be Astros. Not that I think it's a problem, however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sent an email to the address in your profile about the Pence purple prizm. If you didn't get it let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I collect everything Yankees uniform, even if they never played in the majors. I also have 4 binders of team sets from Yankees minor league affiliates over the years and I pick them up whenever reasonable. Very cool, and covers many Yankees that never had a major league card (Stefan Wever, guys like that).

    ReplyDelete