Monday, October 20, 2014

McCovey Monday #60 - 1977 Padres Schedule w/mustache

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1200 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I case you haven't noticed, my posting has slowed down quite a bit including my McCovey Monday posts.  Back at the end of July I shared all but one card of an awesome trade package from Clyde's Stale Cards and promised a McCovey Monday post for one of the cards. It is finally time to fulfill that promise.

This is a Schedule card from the 1977 season when Willie Mac was a member of the San Diego Padres.  There are 2 McCoveys in this set one with and one without a mustache.  This beauty of course is the one with a stylish mustache.  Even though this is a black and white oddball, I find a great looking card and I am so happy to have it in my collection. 

Here is a look at the back and a list of all the special events the Padres held at the Jack Murphy Stadium in 1977.  Looks like they gave away several picture packs with autographs and had a few Business Special games.  I am wondering how stylish the English Leather Cologne Jacket and Dow Sound T-Shirts might have looked.  Personally I would have liked to see who would attend a Padres Old Timers game just a few years into their existance.

Thanks for knocking off a vintage McCovey off my want list and sorry for the posting delay!

2 comments:

  1. I would have to think a Padres Old Timers Game in 1977 would have consisted almost entirely of players from the team's days in the Pacific Coast League. What is also interesting is that I don't think I have ever seen an autographed copy of any of the Dean's Photo or Family Fun Center sponsored photos they gave away specifically for getting autographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found myself staring at his 2011 Lineage cards for quite some time earlier tonight.

    ReplyDelete