Monday, November 17, 2014

McCovey Monday #63 - 2005 Donruss Classics Legandary Lumberjacks HR Relic 01/25

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1200 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

With my collection expanding over the past few years, I don't spend as much time searching for McCovey cards from the past to get into my collection.  I try to get any new releases but don't do long searches looking for the cards I missed when they were released.

I recently stumbled across an auction for a relic card that I didn't already have. I do have a saved search for McCovey 1/1 cards and this happened to come from one of those annoying sellers who claim an non-1/1 card is an action 1/1 because, in this case, it is serial numbered 01/25.  This is the worst logic ever as it would take you down a path where a 07/25 would be a 1/1 as it is the only one stamped with a 7.

This card comes from 2005 which happens to be the year that my pipe dream of owning one of every card ever produced came to a screeching halt.  Up through 2004 Willie McCovey had what seemed to be a somewhat obtainable 775 different cards.  However in 2005 alone, the card companies produced 810 different McCovey cards.  With the total more than doubling in one year it was frustrating for a player collector. Since then my attitude towards collecting has changed and my goal now is to just get as many different cards of my players without breaking the bank.

When I saw this "1/1" listed, I reached out to the seller and we quickly struck a deal.  Here is the card I received:

Lots of empty space but I am okay with the design and it completes a rainbow of sorts, I now have all 5 different McCovey Legendary Lumberjacks.  The dual jersey in the shape of HR, the thing Willie is most likely known for, is a nice touch.  



Here is the back of the card promising the jersey was worn in an action game. You can also see the serial number "01" which actually connected this card to.  I know I will never collect every card from 2005 (heck if that year didn't exist my McCovey checklist would be almost 1/3 smaller) but any time I have a chance to pick up one of the missing cards at a reasonable price I am going to jump.

1 comment:

  1. Been a long time since I've seen one of those. They were a tough pull.

    ReplyDelete