Sunday, December 14, 2014

COMC Black Friday Purchase #4 - The Final Cards

My plan was to post most of these last weekend and share my final 2 McCovey pickups last Monday on McCovey Monday but you know how it goes.  Life gets busy plus I have been spending most of my time in my hobby room with a big push to get some cards cataloged and organized. Making big progress but I want to get these COMC purchase done and share some good stuff I have gotten in through trades and purchases recents.

While I was scouring COMC I decided to do a quick search on one of my player collections, Ben Petrick, for serial numbered cards.  I was able to find 7 cards that I needed for reasonable prices. Check out these cards that will bring you right back to around the turn of the century.
 With Petrick being a catcher, there are tons of great action photos of him in his catchers gear.  The card in the top row middle is a great example. I also really like the Prism cards in the bottom row, need to chase a rainbow of that.

 The Prism cards have the serial numbering on the front so I decided to flip the other 5 to show off the serial numbers.

Next up a couple McCovey's I knocked off the want list.

This is the Onyx parallel from 2012 Topps Triple Threads.  This gets me within the Sapphire (/25) and Ruby (1/1) from the rainbow.

Staying with the Triple Threads McCovey theme, I also picked up this relic from 2013 Triple Threads. A nice big piece of bat wood and the card is numbered 25/27.  I was very happy to pick this up for $6.

Finally I picked up 3 additional cheap Giants hits.  The first two are the only 2 Giants autographed featuring Giants in 2014 Bowman Platinum.  I figured this was like a team set.  Neither of these guys is projected to light the world on fire but I do believe Gregorio was just added to the 40 man roster.


My final card is this 2000 Playoff Absolute relic of Jeff Kent featuring an Authentic Game-Used Base from the Giants home opener.  I really like the design on the front of this card.

 However what really struck me was the back.  Not only does the card state that the base is authentic, it gives the date it was used and a photo of the base.  This is how relics should be done.

I don't know about you but I would take a tenth of the relics being inserted into products if we could get information like this authenticating the memorabilia.

That is it for my COMC Black Friday purchases.

1 comment:

  1. Great cards! I'm a Petrick fan as well. I love the Donruss/Playoff relic cards that have the picture of the item on the back of the card with info on it!

    ReplyDelete