Monday, December 15, 2014

McCovey Monday #65 - Sweet LCS Auto Pickup plus a teammate

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1200 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

Last week I went by my LCS and saw a beautiful card in the case of my favorite player of all time. The price tag was more than I typically pay for a McCovey auto but I asked to see it anyway.  He had it priced at $100 but quickly told me he would take less and hopped on his computer.  He had put it up on eBay with a $100 or best offer and had gotten an offer for around $40 which he declined.  He offered it to me for $35 which I jumped on.  Here is the card:

 Even though it lacks the SF on his hat, I think this is a great looking card.  I love being able to see his #44 on the back of his jersey and the slight smile.  The card is nice and thick and sports an on card autograph is a nicely place white box that allows the auto to pop.  The little blue corners makes this a blue parallel and sports a low 09/10 serial number.  I was super happy to pick it up and wasn't planning on picking up any other singles but then this caught my eye:



Another Immaculate auto of Willie's former teammate HOFer Gaylord Perry.  This is the Heroes subset and as you can see is serial numbered 23/25, another nice low number.  This card sports Panini's typical cut off head but I still think the design works and the card looks great.  The on card auto adds to the cards beauty. This one had a $40 or $50 price tag on it but I was able to pick it up for $20, a great price in my opinion.

For $55 I was able to pick up two awesome cards for my collection, this is why I stay away from box breaks and stick to picking up singles.  He had a couple other cards in the display case that caught my eye that were a little too rich for my blood but knowing he will give me pretty steep discounts, I am going to have to see what else I can score.





3 comments:

  1. That is nice he was willing to deal with you so much. Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome cards for prices you literally can't beat. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete