Monday, October 19, 2015

McCovey Monday #79 - 1967 Bazooka

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1200 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

It has been quite a while since I have been able to pick up a new Willie McCovey card from during his playing career.  I was super excited to see this card pop up on one of my saved searches at a fairly reasonable Buy It Now price.  It was a little higher than I wanted to spend so I shot the seller an offer, he countered at something within my price range and boom this card entered my collection.


This is a 1967 Bazooka card of Willie Mac.  This card is just slightly bigger than a Topps Allen & Ginter or Gypsy Queen mini card.  This is a photo that, as far as I can tell, wasn't used on any other cards during his playing career or in newer card sets which adds to the excitement of adding it to my collection.  Most of the cards I still need from the 60s for my McCovey collection are going to be pretty costly and I am so happy to knock one off the want list.  These Bazooka cards are great despite a fairly simplistic design and blank back.  One of these days in the distant future I may go after one of these sets but for now I am going to enjoy my new Willie McCovey card.


No comments:

Post a Comment