Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Knocking Off Two of the Greatest Ever from the 1971 Topps Want List

My quest to complete the 1971 Topps set is getting closer to the end point.  This is my birth year set and one I set a goal to complete in 2017.  Over the last couple weeks I have been able to knock 3 cards off my want list, two of them major gets, bringing it down to 22 cards.  Two of those are from Series 3 and the rest are SPs from the high number series.  It may take some time, effort and coin but I will get it completed.

I usually save the best for last but today I am going to show the best first.

I am so happy to have picked up this Roberto Clemente card.  Obviously the condition isn't mint but t falls in line with the condition of many cards in my set.  I have been on the lookout for a decent conditioned card at a price I could swallow.  This card came my way for $30.05 delivered which I thought was a very solid price.  I know book value isn't particularly accurate and wouldn't apply to this card due to condition issues but Beckett lists this at a $150 card and I have seen similar conditioned cards sell for my higher than $30 during my quest.  Oh yeah, the auction was for two cards so in addition to this great 1971 Clemente card, I got this in the deal:


A great 1968 Topps Bob Clemente card!  Again, not great condition as it isn't centered well, the bottom right corner is pretty hairy and the edges surrounding that corner are rough but these 2 cards together to me are a steal of a deal.  Once 1971 and 1969 sets are put to rest I suspect I will go after the 1968 set as I inch towards the 1972 set.  This card will be set aside to help start that adventure. 

I did mention that I picked up a total of 3 1971 cards, here is the next one:


Outside of some centering issues, this is a pretty nice looking Series 3 card of Yanks pitcher Mel Stottlemyer.  I have found during my vintage set quests that Yankees tend to cost a premium so crossing another off the list feels nice.

While I did lead off with the "best" card in this post, I am sure not ending on a down note:

I also picked up the Series 3 card of the best all around player in baseball history Willie Mays!  While very excited to add this to my collection, Clemente probably rose to the top spot since I had already acquired a Mays for the Giants team set.  It is always great to add a card of this caliber and it really moves my want list into a space with no major stars left.  The Baylor/Baker rookie is challenging to come by at a low price and all the high numbers can be a challenge but I feel really good about my progress.

5 comments:

  1. Man, I love the stars in your birth year set. Mine is at the back end of the 70s and there's no Clemente or Mays... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clemente was the last card I needed to finish the set. Mine is in similar shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on taking down these three cards. I think it's the first time I've really taken the time to check out Clemente's signature. Interesting how he printed out each of the letters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Such beautiful cards! Clemente AND Mays in the same post? You win!

    ReplyDelete