Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The Joy of a Completed Insert Set - 2000 Topps 21st Century Topps

Since 2006, in addition to the Topps Flagship base sets, I have been collecting most of the insert sets as well.  I little while back I decided to fill some gaps in my collection and pick up the Topps insert sets from 1993 to 2005.  While I do have all the base sets in that range, this was a period where I didn't do a ton of collection.  Most of the sets have been picked up in factory form or bought complete without opening many or any packs.  I have decided to share the different insert sets as I complete them to document my progress and share the sets in case they came at a lull in your collecting as well.

This set comes from 2000 Topps and is titled 21st Century Topps. This is a 10 card set on a nice shiny card stock and were inserted in Series 1 packs.  I believe the premise was to highlight some hitters that Topps believed would be the stars of the early 21st Century.

So how did Topps do?  I think they hit at about an 80% success rate with just Grieve and Gonzalez being strong players and even those 2 guys made an All-Star game.  Jeter made 14 All-Star games, Casey 3 All-Star, Nomar 6, A-Roid 14, Rolen 7, Andruw 5, Vlad 9 and Helton 5.  Seems like a pretty nice group of players with bright futures at the time.

I also thought I would share a card back to showcase the entire card.

A few personal stats and a write up about each players potential and assets.  A nice comparison to Roberto Clemente which I think ends up being pretty accurate.  I am hoping Guerrero joins Clemente in the Hall of Fame next year.

2 comments:

  1. Ben Grieve! He was in everything for about an 18 month span. Congrats on finishing the insert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those. I guess Jeter would be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete