Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Joy of a Completed Insert Set - 1996 Topps Classic Confrontations

Since 2006, in addition to the Topps Flagship base sets, I have been collecting most of the insert sets as well.  I little while back I decided to fill some gaps in my collection and pick up the Topps insert sets from 1993 to 2005.  While I do have all the base sets in that range, this was a period where I didn't do a ton of collecting.  Most of the sets have been picked up in factory form or bought complete without opening many or any packs.  I have decided to share the different insert sets as I complete them to document my progress and share the sets in case they came at a lull in your collecting as well.

This set is a 15 card set from 1996 and is called Classic Confrontations.  The fronts feature a nearly full body picture of the player, a muted close up of a portion of the same picture in the background and a team logo near the bottom, strategically placed to try and avoid the player picture.   The insert set title is printed in all caps along the left side of the card and the player name is listed in gold foil at the players feet.

The set features 10 hitters and 5 pitchers.  It is hard to argue the player selection for this set although one might argue Reggie Sanders is a little out of place.  He was a solid player but the rest of the groups put up Hall of Fame caliber numbers over their career.

The backs and interesting, you get a small player head shot and a stat line of the player against some of the best in the game - hence the Classic Confrontation naming.  The batters show their stat lines against "The Aces" and the pitchers card back shows their stat lines against "The Most Feared".

Not the most exciting insert set or design but an overall solid add to my set collection.

4 comments:

  1. i like the stats. Maddux is one of the few pitchers I've collected. A couple of my PC guys did quite well against him but Gwynn! man, he had Greg's number!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This set needs to make a comeback. What a cool insert series

    ReplyDelete