Friday, January 18, 2019

2019 Collecting Goals

I am a list person, I get stuff done my making lists and checking things off.  Last year I went to an extreme and had many goals and sub-goals.  The results were mixed so I decided to simplify things a bit this year.  Today I present my 2019 Card Collecting Goals.

1. Add 12 $100+ BV cards to my 1957 set

I bought a few really nice cards from 1957 at an auction in December and have picked up a few common singles at my LCS and a card show and I am down to needing a total of 334 cards of the 407 card set.  I have a long ways to go and this will not be a fast set build as there are quite a few very high dollar cards (Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Don Drysdale RC, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson RC, Roberto Clemente, Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax, Brooks Robinson RC, and Yankee Power Hitters) plus there is a series, the 4th of 5, that is rarer than the other cards.

All up there are 30 cards on my want list that have a Beckett book value of $100 or more (the cards listed above all book for $500 or more).  My goal is to acquire 12 of these high valued cards this year, one per month on average.  Historically I have built my sets by picking up lots of commons and only having the high dollar cards to fill in at the end.  I am hoping this approach limits this.

2. Add 100 new Hostess card to my collection 

I bought lots from the 1975-1978 sets on an auction site a few months back.  There are 600 cards across the 4 sets and after the auction and a couple purchases I now need 388 cards to complete the run of all 4 sets.  There is a 150 card 1979 set too but until these are closer or I run into a starter lot, my focus will be on the first 4 sets.

I don't have a good strategy yet on how to pick up this many cards while keeping the prices down and not paying a ton of shipping costs.  My local card show wasn't any help.  If any of you happen to run across a good source point the way or let me know if you can work something out.  I would like to knock 100 cards off the list in 2019 which will cut my want list down by more than a quarter.

3. Finish 2 vintage sets that are currently on my want list

While I really enjoy picking up Trojans, Giants, 49ers and cards for my player collections, I have recently recognized the most fun and satisfaction I get out of my collection is derived from set building.  I have a number of vintage sets on my want list currently and would like to make some progress and puts some sets to rest.

My current list includes 1975-78 Hostess, 1972 Topps, 1972 Kellogg's ATG, 1969 Topps Deckle Edge, 1961 Gold Press, 1960 Fleer and 1957 Topps.  The odds of the 72 or 57 sets getting completed are virtually nil but I would be happy to completed 2 of the other sets this year.

4. Add 5 HOF autographs to my collection

I currently have representation of 101 different autographs of Hall of Fame players in my collection.  The number of affordable options continues to diminish so I am keeping this goal at less than one new addition every 60 days.  I need to do a little research and set up some eBay searches to pick my targets.

5. Add 49 new 49er vintage cards

I had a lot of fun and success picking up a majority of the 1970s cards I needed during sales on COMC since Black Friday. I have, either in my possession or my COMC account, cards that give me the complete from from 1968-1979 with the exception of 8 1972 high numbers and 9 1973 cards so many of these will need to come from the 50s and early to mid-60s.

My want list includes some insert and oddball sets but my focus is really on the main set of the year be it Topps, Philadelphia or Bowman.

6. Add 20 NY Giants era vintage cards

I had this goal last year and it worked so I am going to do it again this year.  I love adding vintage cards and there should be plenty of cards within my price range I need from prior to 1958.


That is 6 goals for the year.  I think they are obtainable and will result in great joy if I complete them by year end.  There were some goals I had in the past and/or considered for this year but ultimately decided against.  Here's why.
  • I have recognized that collecting my desired new sets is pretty much a given every year so a goal is pointless, kind of like setting a goal to breathe.
  • I recognized last year that a goal for each of my player collections doesn't drive my collecting focus, when I get the urge and have the funds I look to add cards for a player that feels right in the moment
  • My modern Giants collection, picking up the newest issues and filling past needs happens organically as well, so while it will remain a focus, no goal is needed.
Those are my goals for 2019, wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Some "sturdy" goals there. May the cards be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure am glad that those aren't my goals, otherwise I'd probably fail miserably at all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. Adding NY Giants is one of my areas to focus on this year as well. Just added a dozen yesterday. Nothing spendy (~$5/each on average) but immensely satisfying. One of these days I'll work myself up to spending big money on cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited for your Hostess project! I'm working on something similar with the 70's Kellogg's. Maybe I'll chase Hostess cards after that. Best of luck on your 2019 goals!

    ReplyDelete