Monday, June 25, 2012

McCovey Monday #11

 My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I thought I would share a couple recent McCovey pick ups this week.  First is a Magenta Printing Plate 1/1 from Topps Archives.  This is one of the reprint insert cards, it is odd seeing a printing plate for a vintage card.  I like how visible McCovey is on this plate and you can also clearly see the Giants team name.  The circle in the upper left corner is empty but otherwise I think this is a nice, attractive plate and I am glad to have it in my collection.

Another recent pick up is this 2011 Tier 1 triple swatch jersey card.  As you can see, it is numbered 15/25.  I like the design of this card, especially the photo.  Several bloggers have commented on liking cards with multiple bats and this one fits in with that group.  Stretch is a big man and these 3 bats look toothpick-like over his shoulder which to me make him larger than life.  This is one of those cards that has been designed to fit a couple different versions. On this one all three areas are filled with jersey swatches.


Here are the other two versions that were already in my collection.  The double swatch uses the third, home plate shaped window to display the team log on a white "home plate".  I really like this version, probably better than the 3 swatch card.

The final version of this card is the single swatch.  It uses the two bottom windows to show the full team name.  I like the font of the Giants and the coloring in this window.  I feel this was a nicely designed multi-use card format and I am glad to have completed the "rainbow".

2012 Tier 1 came out last week and I am not sure if I am going to pick up a box or not.  I got one last year and was very disappointed.  My 3 hits were autos of Jordan Zimmerman and Danny Valencia (I think) and a GU card of Paul O'Neil.  Not good at all.  This year's product looks like more of the same, very hit or miss.  Probably just going to try and pick up the Giants via eBay.

3 comments: