Monday, August 25, 2014

McCovey Monday #59 - 2014 Panini Golden Age Box Topper

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1200 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

Recently I walked into my LCS and noticed a big familiar face staring back at me from the bottom of the big board:

 This is a box topper from 2014 Panini Golden Age.  I didn't even know this card existed when I saw it and a $6 buy it now price tag worked for me and I snatched it up.  The minimum bid was $1 but I didn't want to risk losing it.  McCovey's presence in Golden Age has been odd.  In 2012 he had a base card and all the mini parallels.  In 2013 he only had a relic card.  This year this box topper and a Relic box topper /50 are his only appearances.  I have only seen 1 Relic box topper come up for sale and it went for well outside my price range at $50.  I am hoping a few more pop up and I can grab one for under $20.

I like the design of Golden Age this year and am glad that Stretch is included.  I am contemplating going after the base set.  I have purchased 2 retail blasters with very few dups but I haven't made a want list yet.  Might try and make a good deal on some singles at the LCS.

I figured I would share the card back as well.  The card measures 5 X 7 and is on very thick card stock.  The story on the back is a common one about Willie's first game but it is nice to have my favorite player included in this set of 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment