Monday, December 28, 2015

McCovey Monday #81 - Oyo Figurine

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1200 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I haven't done a McCovey Monday post in a little while and this time I am not going to share a card.  Recently I picked up this cool Oyo action figure of Willie on eBay.  I had been eyeing one for quite a while but finally decided to pull the trigger on one for about $12 delivered right before Christmas.

Here is the front and back of the box:
The front of the box displays the figuring nicely and has a good graphic.  I am glad they have the proper graphic from each player and didn't just go with something generic for all the figures.  The licensing is a great touch so the Giants logo is in use.  The back is nice showing Willie Mac's Hall of Fame plaque and some stats down the left side.  I find it curious that one of the stats shown is the number of outs he made.  Seems like his 521 Home Runs would have been a better one.

When I took off the cellophane, here is how it is packaged:
 As you can see, in addition to the figure, you get a home plate, a bat, a ball and glove as promised on the front.  I think they did a solid job in building a package to contain the pieces.

Here is the figure:
 Of course I had to build him!  Here is Stretch with all his equipment from the front view.  This uniform is patterned after his late career, 2nd pass through with the Giants - the uniform of my use.

Here is the back with his name across the top of the uniform number.  I am guessing that each figurine had it's own unique identification number.  Not sure what that adds.  I am very happy with this purchase and it will look nice displayed in my room.

I gave a fleeting thought to going after all the Giants but did a quick eBay search and realized the checklist is deep (guys like Marco Scutaro and Jean Machi have figures).  The only other 2 retired Giants legends I saw were Orlando Cepeda and Juan Marichal.  For now I am just going to enjoy my McCovey Oyo Figurine.


1 comment:

  1. I hate that these are so expensive. When I was visiting Cooperstown this summer, these things were everywhere, either for $12.95 or $9.99 depending on the store. I wanted the Winfield, but just could not justify $10-$13+ for a tiny, plastic knock-off Lego figure. I know eventually these will all sell out and the price will probably go up, but I still feel that $10-$13 should get me at least a three pack of these.

    ReplyDelete