Monday, September 30, 2013

McCovey Monday #37 - 2013 Panini Golden Age Museum Age Relic

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I have been pretty happy with the number of appearances Willie McCovey has made in 2013 releases.  It has given me quite a few new cards to chase. So far in 2013 McCovey has been featured in Panini Cooperstown, Allen & Ginter, Archives (2 different inserts), Topps flagship (3 inserts and some relics & manufactured cards), Gypsy Queen, and Museum Collection.  One other release in addition to these was an appearance in Panini Golden Age.

Stretch didn't have a base card or an insert card but does appear on a relic.  These seemed to be somewhat challenging to find and had a decent premium on the secondary market for a simple relic card but I was finally able to pick one up:


Despite the lack of logos, I think this is a pretty solid looking card.  Panini appears to be attempting to emulate an old school design and I think it works.  I am happy this isn't a boring white swatch as well, it gives it the look of an older jersey.  Overall I am pretty happy with this pick up, a great new addition to my McCovey collection!

1 comment:

  1. That's gorgeous. I'm also a big McCovey fan, but no relics yet....

    ReplyDelete