Friday, August 26, 2016

Box Break - 2014 Panini Hall of Fame - Box 2

Time to share my second of two boxes from a late 2015/early 2016 purchase of a pair of 2014 Panini Hall of Fame boxes.  If you missed the first one, you can find it here.

I will start again with the base cards, again with 2 cards numbered to 75 and one to 50.  Some pretty good star power here with 2 of the hardest throwers ever and a great hitter from early in the 20th century.


I got a pair of Diamond Kings, with the Bert Blyleven serial numbered 47/75.  Still a fan of this design.  The Crusade cards are nice as well and to me the Bench with the red surrounding it looks pretty awesome.

I ended up with 2 Elite series cards in this box with the Gibson being a parallel /25.  I was pretty excited to get a player collection guy in Rickey Henderson for my Dominator card.  These are great looking cards.

Now onto the hit portion of the box, I got an extra one in this box and it contained something a little sparkly in it:
A Wee Willie Keeler Gem Stone numbered 10/10!  Keeler had a 19 year career.  He spent 5 years each with Brooklyn and Baltimore along with 7 years with the Yankees and just 2.5 with the NY Giants.  Since any logos are missing on this Panini card and there is no indication of which New York team he is depicted on, I declare this a Giants card and make it a part of my Giants collection!

I still have the 2 HOF Autos to go...

First up is HOF Starter/Reliever Dennis Eckersley.  I love the look of his wind blown hair in the photo on this picture.  As I stated in box 1, I really like the design of these cards.

My final card of this break was a little bit of a disappointment as it was a duplicate auto from one I got in box 1, former Red Sox LF Jim Rice.  I like Rice a lot, back in the 80s I started player collecting him but stopped as I was going after too many players to keep track of.  This auto is actually serial numbered 01/46 so technically it is a different card but I was hoping to score at least one auto in these two box breaks that didn't already reside in my collection.

Regardless of not picking up a new to me HOF auto, I was pretty happy with this break.  These were priced pretty well and it never sucks to pull HOF player autos.  I am hoping that some sort of HOF release happens this year as well.

2 comments: