Friday, December 9, 2016

Just For the "F" of It #9

It has been a while since I share a card that I acquired just for the fun of it.

One of my favorite ways to seek out cards that don't fit into one of collecting niches but are great additions to my collection is the Sportlots auction sites.  Most of the items have photos and usually the bids start at a quarter.  You have to look out for the shipping costs but may of the sellers send via PWE and charge under a couple dollars.

I ran across this card doing one of the searches in the football session and decided I had to pick it up.

 This is a 1972 Topps rookie card of Lyle Alzado.  Alzado played 16 years in the NFL with the Broncos, Browns and Raiders.  He was known for his fierce play and sometimes violent play.  He was credited with getting the NFL to create a rule against throwing helmets after he ripped the helmet off an opponent and tossed it across the field.  This card to me has a strong resemblance to John Belushi.

I decided to show the back as it highlights his strong rookie season.  I also like the boxing cartoon and discovered that Alzado once fought an exhibition match against Muhammad Ali.  In a way Alzado was larger than life and dabbled in acting a little during his career and after his career.

He is perhaps most famous for being one of the first NFL players to admit to steroid use.  I found this quote online:
I started taking anabolic steroids in 1969 and never stopped. It was addicting, mentally addicting. Now I'm sick, and I'm scared. Ninety percent of the athletes I know are on the stuff. We're not born to be 300 lb (140 kg) or jump 30 ft (9.1 m). But all the time I was taking steroids, I knew they were making me play better. I became very violent on the field and off it. I did things only crazy people do. Once a guy sideswiped my car and I beat the hell out of him. Now look at me. My hair's gone, I wobble when I walk and have to hold on to someone for support, and I have trouble remembering things. My last wish? That no one else ever dies this way.
Sadly, Alzado passed away from lymphoma of the brain.  There was some controversy regarding the role steroids played in him contracting lymphoma but he obviously felt there was a link.

Another cool card added to my collection just for the "f" of it.

3 comments:

  1. Great card. Remember pulling it from a pack years ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet card. My father was a huge Alzado fan. As a Seahawks fan... I couldn't stand him. Shame he passed away at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete