Monday, August 21, 2017

McCovey Monday #93 - 2014 Panini Golden Age 5X7 Box Topper Relic 47/50

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1300 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I made it into my LCS on National Baseball Card Day.  My plan was to look through some of the random boxes of singles to get to the $10 threshold for the Mike Trout card and if I didn't find any singles I would buy a couple boxes of pages.  My wife and 13 year old were on a Boy Scout camping trip so I had my 4 year old daughter and 10 year old son with me - it needed to be a quick trip.

When I walked in I noticed several tables piled high with wax boxes that hadn't been there before.  I decided to extend my trip with a bribe of Chick-Fil-A shakes for the kidos so I could look around the wax.  I picked up 4 boxes of cards ranging from $5-15 each - 1980-83 Cramer, 1992 Stadium Club Series 3, 1994 Ted Williams and 1989-90 Pacific Senior League.  I was hoping of scoring sets of each and I ended up only 1 card short of my goal, card #2 of the Ted Williams set Bernie Carbo.  I also got a 2nd set of the Cramer cards that I am holding onto for a potential contest but if you are interested in near sets of the Ted Williams Set or the Senior League set let me know.

But the star of this post is a random find sitting on the counter at the LCS.  This LCS isn't the most organized.  I usually experience a bunch of random cards on the counters in the process of being organized, priced and filed.  I lucked out and saw this beauty on the counter:

 This is a box topper from 2014 Panini Golden Age with a nice piece of jersey relic.  I had already picked up the regular box topper so this was an awesome find.  I know I had never set eyes on an actual copy of this and don't even remember seeing a copy for sale on line.  In all honesty, its existence had escaped me and I wasn't even on the look out.  I asked the owner how much it would be and after doing a little online research he tossed out a $10 price tag - SOLD! 

 Here is the back with a fancy design and the 47/50 serial number in the upper left hand corner.

Since there were three of us in the store and I spent over $30 we were gifted 3 packs of cards and 3 Mike Trouts.  Unfortunately I didn't get the Brandon Crawford Giants card, if you have one for trade drop me a line.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet box topper! That white jersey McCovey is wearing would look amazing with his signature.

    ReplyDelete