Saturday, August 19, 2017

The Joy of a Completed Insert Set - 2001 Topps A Look Ahead

Since 2006, in addition to the Topps Flagship base sets, I have been collecting most of the insert sets as well.  I little while back I decided to fill some gaps in my collection and pick up the Topps insert sets from 1993 to 2005.  While I do have all the base sets in that range, this was a period where I didn't do a ton of collection.  Most of the sets have been picked up in factory form or bought complete without opening many or any packs.  I have decided to share the different insert sets as I complete them to document my progress and share the sets in case they came at a lull in your collecting as well.

This 10 card insert set was released in 2001 Topps and featured a group of players that were headed for the Baseball Hall of Fame.  I like the design of the card fronts, they are nice and shiny and feature a near full body photo of the player. 


Let's see how accurate Topps' prediction on the future HOFers was.  Vlad picked up 71.7% of the votes last year on his first year on the ballot - strong odds he gets in.  Jeter is a sure fire first ballot HOFer once he is eligible.  Helton is eligible in 2019 and I would say he is border line but my money is on eventual election to the HOF.  A-Rod has all the numbers to be in but who knows what will happen with the steroid ear players.  Griffey was a first ballot no brainer.


Nomar started his career strong but didn't have the longevity to make it to Cooperstown.  Chipper is eligible next year and will most likely get in on his first year.  Pudge just got in this year and Pedro back in 2015. Rick Ankiel is the only player in hindsight that seems like a silly inclusion.


Here is a look at the back of the outcast's card as an example of the backs.  The backs feature a second picture, a nice write up and career statistics.

No comments:

Post a Comment