Saturday, January 26, 2013

Ebay Purchase - 2012 Triple Threads Matt Cain Unity Relic

I recently got a really nice deal on a Matt Cain 2012 Triple Threads jersey card.  I scored it for just over $7 delivered.  Let's take a look at the front of the card:
This is the Sepia parallel and is numbered 03/27.  I have always been a fan of the Sepia parallels, the color seems to go well with cards.  I am a fan of this design and this particular card.  The picture of Cain is pretty cool. He is rubbing up the ball with his cap high on his head.  This takes me right to the mound during one of his starts, I have seen him do just this countless times.  The jersey swatch is framed in almost the shape of a home plate, just missing the point.  I like the texture of this particular swatch.  The spiral around the card works for me as well.  Something I didn't notice until I received this card is the celebration of a particular event, in this case Cain's excellent 2010 post season where he didn't allow an earned run.

The back gives some more detail about the event highlighted on the front:
This brings back some great memories of the Giants first World Series win in 2010 and just how dominant Matt Cain was in the playoffs.  Can you imagine going 21 1/3 innings without an earned run.  There is a mistake on this card saying he didn't allow an "unearned" run - oops.  I like the write up tying the front and back together. One thing that isn't quite clear to me is why they stuck with the "Unity" nomenclature.  I am not too sure what it references.  These debuted last year and there was some logic on the chosen name. Let's take a look at a Buster Posey 2011 Triple Threads Unity relic:
If you look in the background you see the first base/right field side of the baseball diamond.  There are two other Posey versions with different photos of this card showcasing the middle and left side of the diamond.  When you put the three side by side (Unify them) the show a picture of a full baseball diamond.  While I am not the biggest fan of the design, Unity relic seems to fit. 

I am not really sure why they stuck with the name but otherwise the Cain is a great looking card.  I am happy to add it to my collection and will be seeking out other parallels of the Cain card and other Giants in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I like the 2011 idea way more then the 2012. The stadium shots are nice. The spiral I just don't get

    ReplyDelete