Monday, January 28, 2013

McCovey Monday #30 - 2012 Triple Threads

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

Recently I realized I was slacking on trying to acquire the different parallels of Willie McCovey in the 2012 Topps Triple Threads release.  Here is a list of the cards in this year's set:

Base - unnumbered
Sepia - /625
Emerald - /250
Amber - /125
Gold - /99
Onyx - /50
Sapphire - /25
Ruby - /1

The Ruby is just not going to happen but the others should be within my reach. Until the last week or so, my collection only included the base and the Emerald versions of the card.  I went on a quest to help build my collection.

First up is the most plentiful, the Sepia parallel, this one serial numbered 548/625.  I am a fan of the use of Sepia on cards and this background seems to work.  These cards are always pretty high quality, with a nice thick stock and solid colors on the photos. Loving the small black batting glove on Stretch's right hand in this photo.

I also was able to pick up this Gold parallel:
Not a ton of difference in the colors, just a little more yellow in the Gold parallel. This one is numbered 06/99 and comes in at the middle with respect to print run.

I was able to acquire these nice Giants cards from the set along with the Sepia card:
I am loving the photos used in both of these cards.  Buster is sporting the fully catchers gear with mask in hand as he hustles to back up or make a play.  Marichal is sporting his high leg kick and getting ready to deliver a wicked pitch to the plate.  Both nice pickups.

Base - unnumbered
Sepia - /625
Emerald - /250
Amber - /125
Gold - /99
Onyx - /50
Sapphire - /25
Ruby - /1

I also have an Onyx on the way to I need to seek out the Amber and Sapphire parallels to complete as much of the rainbow as I am going to complete. I also wouldn't mind picking up a auto/relic from this set as well.  Maybe next month.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done Adam!

    You and I are in the same boat, just needing the Sapphire and Ruby for McCovey and Dawson!

    ReplyDelete