Monday, January 14, 2013

McCovey Monday #29 - Passing the Torch Rainbow

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I was looking through my McCovey binders and a big smile came across my face when I turned to a certain page.  Putting this page of McCoveys together was a big project and took quite a bit of time (and more money than I probably want to admit) but in my mind it sure paid off.  We use the term rainbow to signify a collection of all the parallels of a card and they are usually differentiated by the color of the border.  When I look at this grouping of McCovey cards, I see all the colors and to me this is a true rainbow.  Enjoy:
Red Parallel 0081/1000

Green Parallel 352/500

Blue Parallel 159/250

Black Parallel 086/100

Gold Parallel 03/50
To me, one of the cool things about this rainbow is that the cards are all relatively easy to find, or were back in 2004 when they came out.  The shortest print run is the Gold /50 so there aren't any 1/1s or Red parallels /5 to make the search virtually impossible.  There are however 3 "hit" cards as well and my rainbow wouldn't be complete without these cards.
Green Parallel with GU Bat 058/100

Blue Parallel with GU Jersey 089/100

Gold Parallel with Autograph 09/10
 Having both the bat card and jersey card is a nice touch in my book.  The only card with a very limited print run is the Auto /10 and I am very lucky to own one!

This is an interesting insert set, it is title Passing the Torch but they only feature Willie McCovey.  There is also a 2 sided insert set featuring McCovey and Will Clark which makes more sense with the theme but regardless, I really enjoy this rainbow.  I am one card away from the McCovey/Clark rainbow but I have only seen one pop up once and wasn't able to secure it.  Maybe a good topic for another McCovey Monday.

Do you have a favorite rainbow in your collection?

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently working on the rainbow for the 2011 Topps Update card of Chris Denorfia. I'm sure it's much cheaper than the McCovey one that you're showing here, but I'm still dragging my feet on it. I have one of the printing plates, so that's cool for me.

    ReplyDelete