Monday, April 9, 2018

More Fun Finds

I thought I would share a couple more things that I have uncovered as I work my way through the large collection I purchased. If you want to see a running list of the sets and partial sets I have, take a look at this link.   Much of it is available for purchase or trade.  Since I laid out some significant cash, I probably can't just give it away.  There is lots of cool stuff from the 4 major sports along with a ton of non-sports stuff.

I thought I would share this card that puzzled me a bit when I first unearthed it. 



I have teased that I have started collecting Fred Lynn cards (post upcoming at some point and time) so this card immediately excited me as I didn't remember having it.  I looked at my checklist and couldn't find any reference to a 1981 Fred Lynn Topps Coke card.  I looked at beckett.com and saw that card #3 in the Red Sox Coke set was Dwight Evans.  I looked at COMC and eBay and couldn't find this card.   I did come across a couple Coke Red Sox team sets, again with Dewey Evans and not Fred Lynn.  I decided to reach out to last year's Secret Santa and some who seems to know a ton about Red Sox cards - Mark Hoyle.  He gave me some cool insight that solved the mystery. Apparently Lynn was to be included in the set but was pulled at the last minute when he was traded to the Angels.  A few of these cards sneaked out but were pretty rare.  A few years ago, it seems that a batch of these got out on the secondary market again making them less rare but based on my searches not too easy to find.  Either way, a great addition to my growing Fred Lynn collection.

I also thought I would share another great find from this collection.



Pages!  I have recently finished removing all the cards from the dozens of binders that came with this collection.  Some held sets, some held star players, some were quite random.  As you can see, I was able to rescue a pretty significant number of pages which should last me for quite a while.  I had to toss many more than I kept as they were either the older pages that were too rigid or flimsy or they were damaged.  It seemed some of these binders got some water damage at some point so there were cards stuck in some pages.  These are all Ultra Pro platinum pages and should help me get a couple of working vintage sets into pages and keep my player collection binders and Giants binders going for some time.

I have slowed down in recent weeks in going through the collection but I have unearthed some great finds.  Stay tuned for future updates.

7 comments:

  1. Mark Hoyle - that guy is pure information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool Lynn indeed. Not seen to often. I’ll check my stash for some more Freddy’s

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could use about 10 of the 1977 Stars Wars cards on your spreadsheet. If you want to trade I'll organize my Giants to see what I can send in return. I might have some Freddy Lynns you need too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice page rescue! They always seem to come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Coke cards from this time period. That's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I had 1981 Coke complete. I guess, not quite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even if this card wasn't a tough short print... it would still be considered an awesome piece of cardboard. Oddball food issue. Well centered action shot. Classic bunting form. And old school stirrups and matching wristbands. Pure awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete