As you may recall (or if not you can click on the link above) I decided to go micro and specific on my goals this year which is a reversal over the past couple. I will copy my list from the post and share some updates in blue and pictures.
- Complete 1969 Topps Set (currently need 8 - Bench, Kessinger, Cox, Reggie RC, Mantle, Santo, Fingers RC, Teddy Ballgame) - I have a COMC order coming in soon that should result in exciting news but I have some progress in my possession.
|The left side of the Cubs Infield brings me down to 6 needs|
|An awesome 2nd year card with the Rookie Cup Bench brings me down to 5|
- Start new vintage set - I have a couple of ideas in mind but haven't settled on a set quite yet.
- Collect Donruss, Topps Series 1 & 2, Topps Update, Opening Day and 2-3 other 2018 sets - Doing well here, bought a Master Set of Topps Series 1 and built a couple of the retail insert sets I liked. Bought a box of Opening Day, completed the set with the box and the insert sets through Sportlots. Bought a base set of Donruss along with the 70 (!) variations. Decided against Heritage and Gypsy Queen although Gypsy Queen is still a consideration.
- Get to 100 different players (currently at 94) - I posted the addition of Smoltz and LaRussa here, I posted autos of Hoffman and Vlad on my HOF Ballot post here, plus I added this great looking on card auto of Jeff Bagwell. This brings me to 99, just need to track down 1 more to make my goal.
|2014 Panini Prizm 54/75, despite the lack of logo, this is a great looking card in hand. I love the big on-card auto|
- Finish and post on 6 sports books - I have 2 different baseball books right now that I am reading and a bunch ready to go. Even though I am behind pace, I think I will get there.
- Catch up on Sports Illustrated and ESPN magazines - The stack keeps growing and I doubt this will be a made goal.
- Get collection into a binder - All done, spent a little time in late February going through all my cards, sorting them by year and paging them up. It has been fun flipping through a couple of times already.
- Reach 200 different cards (currently at 152) - I currently sit at 182. I have even gotten a few through trade. I feel good about this goal, shouldn't be hard to hit.
- Get collection organized - haven't spent any time organizing this part of my collection.
- Establish focus and add 200 new cards - I have yet to gain a focus. I have added around 75 new cards with a few coming in trades, a couple of purchase and most from the large collection I bought and am working my way through.
- Add 20 NY Giants era vintage cards - I am already over half way to this goal but none of my pick-ups have been blogged about. I have an amazing Return from the Purge that will be coming soon, a huge pickup to finish off a vintage team set and a multiple card purchase from an eBay seller. I will share one card I picked up in a Sportlots auction.
|An awesome 1952 Topps pick-up. This is the black back version and one of the last players I need for my Giants team set that aren't in the dreaded high number series.|
- Add 100 1970s-1990s cards - I have already far exceeded this goal. Most I won't blog about but I was helped by picking up a 28 card 1993 Topps Inaugural Giants team set, a 28 card 1983 Giants postcard set, a 30 card 1987 Topps Tiffany set, a 21 card 1980 SSPC HOF card Giants team set and 54 cards in a Beckett.com order.
- Reduce parallel want list to 150 cards (currently at 233) - I haven't added any 2018 cards to the list yet as I have picked up the wanted parallels. I have only knocked about 10-15 cards from the list. This goal will be a challenge, reasonably priced early 00s Topps Gold cards and some of the earlier years of Ginter minis are tough to come by.
- Willie McCovey - pick up 2 items off want list from playing career - nothing yet
- Rickey Henderson - pick up 5 items off want list from playing career, get checklist up to date - I have 2 in hand and believe my COMC incoming order will get me to this goal. Still need to get the checklist up to date.
|This 2005 Absolute card is the Spectrum version numbered 057/150, I also picked up a 1989 Topps Big|
- Dave Winfield - reach 850 different cards (currently at 805), get checklist up to date - I have added 7 and here they are. Still need to get the checklist up to date.
- Reggie Jackson - reach 700 different cards (currently at 626), get checklist up to date - I have added 10 to get to 636, here are 9 of them.
- Vida Blue - pick up 3 items off want list - any new Vida is getting credit here including the awesome custom from Baseball Card Breakdown. I also picked up this cool patch from 1979. That leaves me just 1 short and I have a couple awesome cards to share in a future post that will complete my goal.
|Can't tell what team he should be on, right around the time he moved from the A's to the Giants.|
- Ben Petrick- reach 230 different cards (currently at 221) - This is going to be a tough one to accomplish, most of the cards I need are pretty hard to find with lower print runs. I have got 3 pretty awesome new cards.
|You can see that the Maximum parallel is numbered 203/323, the Bowman Gold Refractor is 54/99 and the Pacific Extreme LTD is 42/45|
- Chili Davis - reach 465 different cards (currently at 453) - no activity on the Chili front so far in 2018.
- Dave Parker - reach 160 different Pirates cards (currently at 140) - only 1 pick up so far but it is a pretty cool one.
|I love me some Hostess cards!|
- Fred Lynn - post about new player collection, reach 280 different cards (currently at 252) - I still haven't posted about this new player collection but I have been adding some cards. My collection now sits at 270 cards. I don't plan on showing off any cards until I get the first post out.
- Ronnie Lott - reach 900 different cards (currently at 868) - I am at 873 but should be able to move the needle much quicker with the 2018 football releases. Here are 3 cards from 2017 Select, I would like to track down most of the rainbow at some point.
|These are numbered 015/149, 04/75 and 12/25|
- Roger Craig - reach 380 different cards (currently at 361) - I have only added 1 card, it is a great dual auto that added to two of these collections. I will have it's own post coming up.
- Dwight Clark - reach 125 different cards (currently at 109) - I have added 5 to get to 114 and will show off 2 of them here.
|This counts as 2 on my checklist as the card and coin are listed separately. These came from a regional grocery store, Save Mart back in 1996|
- Fred Dean - add 5 cards (currently at 25) - I shared 1 in my blog bat around post and also picked up this one.
- Harold Miner - add 2 new cards (currently at 252) - Even at 2 this was a stretch goal, not much of his I don't have. I did track down one postcard sized new card of his and shared on the blog bat around post.
- Charles Barkley - reach 700 different cards (currently at 645) - I have added 7 cards, 2 in this trade, and these 5.
- Patrick Ewing - reach 550 different cards (currently at 505) - 3 new ones here.
|For some reason that green border on the UD MVP card really stands out to me. The Larger then Life insert is a nice shiny gold|
- Chris Webber - reach 750 different cards (currently at 710) - 4 new CWebbs added to the collection.
|The upper left card is from his college days and the first card on my checklist, it had eluded me for some time and I am super happy to finally own a copy|
Have you reflected on your 2018 goals? If so, how are you doing?