Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Just for the "F" of It #17 - Lieutenant E. H. Shackleton 1910 World's Greatest Explorers

A couple weeks ago, I did a post with a book review that shared a pre-war card collection housed at the Library of Congress.  Almost all the cards shown featured baseball players but a non-baseball card caught my attention.  The card triggered a memory of one of the best leadership books I ever read called Leading at The Edge.  A former boss of mine suggested the book and it was a great mix of adventure and leadership lessons.

The book shares lessons from the legendary Antarctic adventure of Sir Ernest Shackleton and his team of 27 polar explorers on the Nimrod and teaches about bringing order to chaos through true leadership. I read a lot and have plowed through dozens of leadership books that this book and the story of Shackleton has stayed with me years after I read the book.

I didn't know Shackleton had a card so when I saw it in the book, I did a quick search and while there aren't many out there on eBay, I was able to find this one:



This card is from a set featuring the World's Greatest Explorers and was produced in 1910 and it was fitting that I had to buy the card and have it sent to me from England seeing how Shackleton was from Britain.  The condition isn't wonderful but good enough for me to enjoy it Just for the Fun of It!

5 comments:

  1. The ship's name was "The Nimrod?" Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the volcano spouting off in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this set! At one time I was trying to complete it, but now I'm just content with the couple of cards that I have from it, not that I'd mind adding a few more at some point, but until then...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this kind of stuff. I feel like the percentage of people out there who know and care about arctic explorers is minimal... yet when people (like myself) are exposed to this knowledge it's becomes temporarily very, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I'm fascinated by those early Antarctic expeditions, but I'm admittedly more interested in the dudes who came up short (read up on Robert Falcon Scott and what happened to him and his crew if you ever get a chance).

    ReplyDelete