Monday, September 2, 2019

McCovey Monday #96 - 2019 Immaculate Collection Dual Bat Relic 43/49

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of almost 1400 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards on select Mondays.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

Today I am showing off another 2019 release of Willie Mac.  I wasn't sure if his presence would increase or decrease after his passing last October and it seems that it is just about the same as the last few years.  Today I am showing off a relic from 2019 Immaculate Collection and there are even a few low numbered sticker autographs in the product, I suspect those will dry up soon.

Here is today's card:

This is a nice dual bat card from the Legends subset.  I  like the design of this care, the swooshes in the background fit nicely with the Giants color scheme and the gold foil looks good as well.  This is a common photo of McCovey but it fits well on the card front.  Obviously a nice orange SF on the cap would be better but I am passed the point of complaining about licensing, it impacts the sets I collect but not the players.

I don't always snap a pic or scan the back but this card had a couple nice surprises on the back so I thought I would share it.


First, it is claimed this is from an actual game-used material, in this case I assume a bat.  I can't be certain but it seems like there are more instances of things being "player-used or player-worn" material denotations so maybe there is a little bit of honesty on this portion of the hobby.

The best part of the back is the quote from McCovey.  This is a quote I hadn't heard and I have read a lot about McCovey and followed his career since the late 70s.  It is a pleasant surprise to see a new quote like this, and a cool one at that.  I read a ways back that McCovey was one of the few Hall of Famers who hadn't either written an autobiography or been the subject of a biography.  I am not sure how many there are today will the expansion of the Hall but I sure would love to see a bio on Stretch one of these days.

1 comment:

  1. Cool quote. Glad to see Panini throw that onto this card. My only complaint is that they continue to be vague on their COA. Is it so hard to write "The enclosed game-used material is guaranteed by Panini America, Inc to have been used by Willie McCovey"? The way they write it... the could be using a game-used little league bat.

    Sorry for complaining. This is a really nice looking card.

    ReplyDelete