Monday, February 9, 2015

McCovey Monday #71 - Willie McCovey 2013 Topps Museum Collection Quad Relic

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1200 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

Today I am going to share a great looking card I picked up a few weeks back from one of my favorite sets from a design perspective, Museum Collection.  I believe Topps has done a great job with this set from the base cards all the way to the hits.  This McCovey comes from the 2013 release:


The quad pieces of bat are circled in silver foil that doesn't quite come through in the scan.  The set name, Primary Pieces Legends label, McCovey's name, position and the Giants logo are all in foil as well.  I like how the picture is incorporated into the middle of the card and while the picture has been used a few times before, it is perfect for a quad bat card with Willie holding multiple bats on his shoulder.  The only small beef I have with the card is listing the position as Outfielder.  He did play some outfield but is better know for his work at first base for the Giants.  Just a great looking card.

Flip it over to the back and Topps gives you 4 "Quad Qualities" to keep with the quad theme.  Nothing new to me here but I like #4, showing that Willie was a classy and respected leader.  With only 25 of these cards in existence, I am very happy to have one in my collection.

I should be posting the winner of my contest later today or tomorrow.  One last chance to enter, a few good guesses buy nobody has nailed is exactly.


No comments:

Post a Comment