Tuesday, February 24, 2015

New 1960s Vintage Giants

Recently I shared that I had finished off all the Giants Topps team sets from the 1960s so why are these two cards entering my collection:


The condition of these cards are not stellar so it isn't a condition update.  There are no variations to these cards like odd colored backs or incorrect statistics.  If you turn over the cards and check out the backs, the mystery is solved:

The bottom right corner shows the Printed in Canada notation - these are O-Pee-Chee cards from the mid-1960s.  As best as I can tell, 1965 was the first year for OPC baseball.  If you check out my Giants Base want list you will see that I have a big void in my collection of Giants OPC cards from 1965 to 1976.  I haven't made these sets a priority and really don't even know the supply or cost of these cards compared to their Topps counterparts. However I saw these two at pretty reasonable prices and decided to add them to my collection.

This year is my year of the base card and these do qualify but so far my focus has been on much more recent releases.  I don't know if I will get to aggressively pursuing these cards in 2015 but I suspect that at some point these sets could be a good collecting goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment