Monday, July 23, 2012

McCovey Monday #15

  My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I decided to share two recent McCovey additions, both were purchased off of eBay.

First up is another new 1/1 printing plate, this one from 2011 Topps Tribute.  I believe it is the black version.  This is my second of the four plates, I also have the magenta version.



I overpaid for this card by the typical limit I set for myself, it set me back $27.00 shipped.  I usually try to cut these plates off at around the $20 mark but I got caught up in the auction.  Now that I have it in my hand I am happy to have it but it probably cost me a few cards towards building my set due to the overpayment.

This next card was also an eBay pick up and only set me back $12.98.  

I have the non-encased version of this card and have had it for more than a decade.  I am not a huge fan typically of encased cards but this one intrigued me.  It appears to have been a give away by Topps based on the label.  It states that the card is a "Hawaii XX Topps Exclusives 1/6"  I am not sure if these were serial numbered out of 6 or if all 6 state 1/6 but either way getting a card this rare for such a low price.  If anyone knows the history of these cards, I would appreciate any insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment