Friday, August 28, 2015

Just For The "F" Of It #1

I have decided to start a new series of posts, I haven't decided if it will be weekly or just whenever I get the itch.  Knowing my posting challenges it will most likely be a just whenever sort of deal.

I am titling it Just For the "F" Of It - as in fun of it so get your mind out of the gutter, I have to keep this PG.  One of the many blessings of this blogging community has been an expansion in my appreciation for cards and my recognition that I can like a card just because, it doesn't have to fit into one of my many different collections.  These posts will celebrate the cards that I have added or kept just for the fun of it.

Now here are the types of collections I have, so cards you see will be excluded from these:
  • Set collecting
  • Player collecting (McCovey, Henderson, Vida, Winfield, Reggie, Petrick, Chili, Parker, Barkley, Ewing, Webber, Miner, Lott, Craig and Clark)
  • San Francisco Giants
  • USC Football Players
  • Vintage San Francisco 49ers
  • Sacramento Kings
  • HOF Baseball Autos
Are there any cards left???  Believe it or not, this is a collection of mine that has grown quite a bit and I have plenty of cards to share.

So who gets the nod as the first Just For The "F" Of It card?

None other than Kent Tekulve and this 2015 Topps Archive Fan Favorites Autograph.  This card came my way via eBay for about $4 delivered and I just love it.   So how did this card find a place in my JFTFOI collection?  The first World Series I remember watching was the 1979 We are Family Pirates against the Orioles and Tekulve was the ace reliever for the Pirates.  Since the Bucs were in the NL like my Giants I was rooting for them in a big way.  I also fell in love with their uniforms, great bright yellow and black with the super cool caps. I actually has a Giants version of this cap as a kid with the yellow lines being orange and the P replaced with the interlaced SF.  Kent was sporting the killer shades and the crazy underhanded delivery and it made me an instant fan.

The beauty of products like Archives are bringing these Fan Favorites autographs to collectors like me.  A worthy card for my JFTFOI club.

6 comments:

  1. So funny, I just picked up this exact card on COMC, not even a week ago for right around the same price, and also just for the F of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is impossible not to like Teke. The glasses, his delivery and the cool uniforms make for cardboard gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the first World Series I recall as well. Willie Stargell, Dave Parker, Tim Foli, Scrap Iron Garner, and Teke...what a great team that was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the Archives Fan Favorites autographs. They fill an important niche that isn't usually served in other products. This is an awesome card. Even though Tekulve's career was a little before my time, I can appreciate how cool he is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card. Most of are showing are ages, but that WS was probably my first seen as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet card. This was one of my first 2015 Archives autograph pickups. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to own it.

    ReplyDelete