Monday, October 22, 2012

McCovey Monday #24

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

 Since it is October, I thought it would be great to feature a card featuring Willie McCovey with Mr. October, Reggie Jackson.  I also have a player collection of Reggie but I haven't put a lot into it over the last few years.  Regardless of the hobby focus, Reggie is one of my favorite players.  Let's take a look at the card.


This card is a dual bat card from 2001 Fleer Platinum.  It is a parallel to the Classic Combinations insert set and is subtitled Bay Area Bashers.  I love that this features Reggie in his Oakland A's uniform and it doesn't get better than the green sleeves and green and gold cap.  I am a huge fan of this card and the insert without the bat pieces.  This card is not serial numbered but is supposedly limited to 25 copies.  I would guess that is about right as this card was very challenging to track down and it was pretty pricy once I found one and pulled the trigger.

I took a quick look at the checklist for this set and it is very impressive. There are only 11 dual bat cards in the set:

#1 Yogi Berra Bat/Bill Dickey Bat
#2 Yogi Berra Bat/Roy Campanella Bat
#3 Roberto Clemente Bat/Vladimir Guerrero Bat
#4 Eddie Mathews Bat/Chipper Jones Bat
#5 Willie McCovey Bat/Reggie Jackson Bat
#6 Phil Rizzuto Bat/Derek Jeter Bat
#7 Frank Robinson Bat/Brooks Robinson Bat
#8 Mike Schmidt Bat/Brooks Robinson Bat
#9 Mike Schmidt Bat/Scott Rolen Bat
#10 Ted Williams Bat/Bill Terry Bat
#11 Ted Williams Bat/Tony Gwynn Bat


I would love to get a copy of the Ted Williams/Bill Terry card but suspect that one will be out of my price range.

Hope you enjoyed another look into my Willie McCovey collection.

3 comments: