Monday, February 11, 2013

McCovey Monday #31 - 2012 Panini Golden Age

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I was trolling Sportlots the other day with a little extra money in my account and realized I didn't have any Giants or players I collect from that set outside of the Vida Blue hits I had bought on eBay.  I had picked up a couple packs but didn't pull anything of note.  I did a search and realized that in addition to Vida, there were 2 Giants, Bobby Thomson and my favorite player, Willie McCovey.  I found a seller who had reasonable prices and must have broken quite a bit and found 3 different Willie Macs for my collection:
The regular sized base is in the middle flanked by 2 different minis.  The one on the left is Broadleaf Brown Ink (there is also a blue ink variation) and the Crofts Candy Red Ink (there is also a blue ink variation).  In addition to the blues, the other one I need to track down is a Ty Cobb Tobacco variation.  I like the design of this set and if it had come out earlier in the year or had a little lower price point I may have gone after the base set.  I am too far into 2013 mode to go back.

The same seller also had a trio of Bobby Thomson cards I picked up:
Same Broadleaf mini but this time I was able to pick up the blue ink Crofts Candy mini.  I really like the picture choice for this card.  The lack of logos doesn't come into play and the look of joy with Thomson hugging his bat after the Shot Heard Round the World is great!

My next Vida Blue update will show the final 3 cards I was able to pick up from this seller.

No comments:

Post a Comment