Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Pair of Rickey Dual Relics

Rickey Henderson remains one of my favorite players of all time and I am always looking forward to adding his cards to my collection.  The 2013 Panini America's Pastime offers up plenty of options and a couple months back I was able to pick up a pair of dual relics from the same seller.  I paid a little more than I typically prefer for Rickey relics but I got caught up in a bit of a bidding war and had to win them.

 Rickey had quite a few stops in his career and this card celebrates hit stops in Los Angeles and New York (I assume the Mets not the Yankees based on the swatch).   You might assume based on this card that Rickey left the Dodgers to go to the Mets but that really wasn't the case.  LA was Rickey's final stop in his career in 2003 and he had played with the Mets in 1999-2000.  He hit the Mariners, Padres and Red Sox in between.  This picture seems of the appropriate period towards the end of his career.  America's Pastime was a pretty limited product and no card is numbered higher than /125 so this would be considered his base relic for this subset.

I will always think of Rickey as an Oakland Athletic, he spent 14 of his 25 seasons with the A's. This card features 2 different swatches from Rickey's A's days and features a nice picture that, despite the airbrushing, is most certainly from his time with the A's.  The swatch on the right has some fuzz on it, like it came from the pants knee after a slide.  I like the design of this card and this would again be considered the base version of the subset being numbered 084/125.

Rickey has cards in several different subsets in this release including a booklet card that I wouldn't mind picking up.  The cost has been too rich for my blood but it may be time to see if I can find a bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment