Saturday, April 18, 2020

Giants In Tiffany

Remember the Tiffany parallel cards that Topps put out?

The first sets were printed in 1984.  They were distributed as complete sets to dealers and were full 792 card parallels printed on a different stock with glossy fronts and white backs.  I read that Topps had a facility in Ireland where they made these, not sure why they couldn't have printed them in the good old USA.

I recently saw a guy on Facebook who had bought a set to crack and keep his team's set and was offering the single cards for sale.  I asked about the Giants knowing I didn't have any 84 Tiffanys in the Giants binder so I asked and fortunately he had the entire team set.  I picked them up for a reasonable price and got them this week.

Here is the Frank Robinson regular and Tiffany card side by side:

The Tiffany is on the right and you can tell by the scan that it is glossier, I do think it is more apparent to the naked eye.  


The differences in the back are much more evident with that sharp white stock.

I realized after I had picked these up that Atlee Hammaker was on the ERA Leaders card so I still need that one to complete the 1984 Tiffany team set.  This also made me wonder how long these sets were made and how many I still needed.

First off, here is the team set (minus the ERA Leaders):





Doing a little research and Topps put out these sets from 1984-1991 for both the flagship and traded sets.  Not all the print runs weren't all reported but rumors are the 1984 set had a print run of 10,000.  I have a pretty solid list of Giants cards during this era, my want list is not too lengthy but I have quite a few needs during this run, even after crossing off most of the 84 set:
  • 1984 Topps Tiffany #137 ERA Leaders Atlee Hammaker/Rick Honeycutt
  • 1984 Topps Traded Tiffany - full team set
  • 1985 Topps Tiffany  full team set
  • 1985 Topps Traded Tiffany - full team set
  • 1986 Topps Tiffany full team set
  • 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany - full team set
  • 1987 Topps Traded Tiffany #129T Matt Williams
  • 1989 Topps Traded Tiffany - full team set
I think it may be time to do some searching and see if I can complete this Giants run.  The only decent Giants rookie cards in this run are the 86 Will Clark traded, 87 Will Clark and 87 Matt Williams traded and I only have the 87 Clark but they shouldn't be too pricey.  Off to Sportlots and eBay I go!

3 comments:

  1. I've gotten some Tiffanys for PC guys but haven't ever really felt like it was worth it for team sets. I do have a Traded one that I got in a stack that was miscategorized as base traded. It's near impossible to tell the difference on the Tradeds because both have white stock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The white card stock looks awesome. I think I own one Tiffany team set (1989 A's). I'd definitely pick up more if the price was right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the 84 Tiffany Strawberry used to be a $100 card back in the day. Those white backs are so nice looking.

    ReplyDelete