Monday, April 13, 2020

McCovey Monday - 2020 Topps Heritage Greatest Moment and 1971 Topps Greatest Moments

I haven't done a McCovey Monday in a while and I think the last one I did was numbered 100.  I made the decision to stop numbering these posts to make my life a bit easier.  I also am dumping my into, if you want to know why I have a McCovey Monday after this one, you can look back in the archives.  He was my favorite player and I have a pretty solid collection of his cards I like to showcase.

Today I am showing my first, and to date only, pick-up of 2020.  He has a couple coin and stamp cards in 2020 Heritage in addition to this card but I have realized those go for way too much each year from those crazy Heritage set collectors.  I am glad to have this one as it is pretty cool and a nice throwback.



This is an oversized box topper out of 2020 Topps Heritage and is a throwback to similar cards put out in 1971 by Topps.  This one highlights a 9th inning grand slam by Willie McCovey to help lead the Giants to a comeback win against the Pirates in July 1971.  Cool card and very happy Willie was featured in this set.

It would have been criminal to not include him since he was also in the original product:



Here is the original card, it compares fairly well to the Heritage card put out this year.  For whatever reason they changed the colors of the circle around his head on the left and his name right below.  The font of his name is a little off but pretty close.  The biggest puzzle to me is why they changed it from Baseball's Greatest Moments to The Game's Greatest Moments - no idea why that was done.  The 1971 version features his famous first game heroics against fellow HOFer Robin Roberts.

I am glad to be able to add a Willie to the collection in 2020.  I am hoping he shows up again in Archives and Ginter this year so I can continue to add new cards - the older cards I need are typically low numbered or hard to find.

6 comments:

  1. Oversized cards are usually a turn-off for me, but gotta make an exception for these.. such cool looking cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drool over these every time -- the originals, not the 2020 ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have the original set one day but I doubt that will happen. I should probably set my sights on the Mays for the Giants collection.

      Delete
  3. First Gavin. Now you. I feel like all of the cool kids have one of these Baseball Greatest Moments cards. I'd love to one day own one... but they're so darn pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great. I have the dodgers from the 1971 set plus one from topps archives a few years ago. I haven't picked up any from this year though.

    ReplyDelete