Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Some Significant 1957 Topps Set Progress

Last week I sold a few thousand baseball cards from a collection I bought a couple years back to a fellow collector.  We met about an hour south of where I live to make the exchange.  I typically have people come my way for a sale (and I expect to travel to the seller when I make a local deal) but I agreed to meet that far away for two reasons, 1) I needed to clear some space in my card room and 2) I am teaching my son to drive and this would get him 2 of his required 50 hours to get his license.

I was a little sad to see these go, there was quite a few good inserts and parallels along with some base cards from the late 70s and early 80s but I was happy to get the cash.  I decided on the ride home that I wanted to flip these cards for something I would enjoy in my collection.  I got home and posted my 1957 Topps want list up on Facebook in hopes of whittling down the want list.  My hope was to secure a nice volume of non-star cards and I had someone reach out to make exactly that happen.

I couldn't believe that I was able to pick up 56 cards of the 407 card set in the condition I am looking for from the same seller.  The cost of these was just over $2/card delivered which I felt was an amazing deal.  Here are all the cards:








I have a couple smaller orders coming in that I will share soon, one of which has some more star power.  Once those come in, this set build that started less than 2 years ago is down to a 68 card want list.  I am progressing much faster than I ever expected.  However I still have some very big hitters to go with a Mickey Mantle, Brooks Robinson, Ted Williams, Roberto Clemente, Sandy Koufax and Yankee Power Hitters (featuring Mantle and Berra) among the cards I need.

5 comments:

  1. That's a really good deal on the '57s. Congrats on the flip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost never see '57 cards in that kind of shape. It almost looks freakish!

    The Gilliam card is one of my favorites. That Dave Philley background is what makes the '57 set notable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on moving some cards to make way for some set needs. I probably should start doing that at some point.

    The Wally Moon is my favorite card in this post... and it has nothing to do for his unibrow. I really like the cropping job Topps did on this card. You can see his entire body from the knees up... as well as the whole bat.

    When it comes to Topps flagship baseball sets from 1956 to present, I have at least a handful of singles (or more) sitting in my binder. The one exception is 1957. For some reason or another I just haven't come across a lot of singles from this set. Last year, I started picking up some singles though (Ralph Terry and Whitey Ford).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great haul, especially for the price. I'm jealous :)

    ReplyDelete