Friday, April 24, 2020

A New Vintage Set Quest

Yesterday I shared some matchbook covers that I won in an auction recently.  During that same auction I bid on and won some cards from a set I have been thinking about building, 1961 Fleer.  My goal was to finish off my 1960 Fleer set and my 1961 Golden Press set prior to starting this set.  I see these sets in a similar light as smaller sets and somewhat of oddball sets featuring retired baseball greats.  But seeing 3 lots of these cards at a pretty reasonable price made me decide to start putting this set together without finishing the others up.

I picked up 36 total cards and 32 different cards which is more than 20% of the 154 card set.  Not a bad start.  Here are all 36 cards:





 Boy, my photography skills need some work - those are some crooked pictures.  While I generally like some scenery in the background on cards, I am okay with the solid colors, they are bright and make the players stand out.  It will be interesting to see once I get closer to completing the set if there is a pattern to the colors.

Whenever I see these cards I always wonder, "why 5 stars, could it have been 4 or 6 - who made that decision". Silly I guess but it would be great to hear from card designers what went into the decisions.  I really enjoy the variety of players in this set.  There are going to be some tough (expensive) cards in this set build like Babe Ruth and Ted Williams but I don't think it will be crazy expensive.

Here is a look at the card backs:

The trophy surrounding the number is kind of cool.  I really like the write ups and the career stats and everything is pretty easy to read.

I ended up with 4 extras, if anyone is looking for them let me know.  Also, outside of the Giants team set featured here, I don't think I have any more of these in my collection so if you have some available for trade or sale drop me a line.

5 comments:

  1. Great set. I am working on the set too. What are the extra numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked these -- they were some of the first card I ever saw of some of those non-Ruthian '20s/'30s stars. Also a lot of guys are featured in weird uniforms, which makes it even better for me (that's the only card I've ever seen of Red Ruffing on the White Sox, for instance).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really sweet looking set. I hope you're able to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great design, even with the arbitrary 5 stars, and what a tremendous checklist. Good luck on the set build!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved the 1961 design way more than the 1960 Fleer and a tad bit more than the 1963 Fleer designs. It looks like you picked up some nice lots, because these look really clean. Best of luck on your set build.

    ReplyDelete