Friday, August 30, 2019

Just for the "F" of It #16 - 2005 Donruss Signature Series Rick Dempsey Auto

Today's card is a 100% impulse just for the "Fun" of it card.  I was at the local card show thumbing through a few boxes of top loaded autos are relics.  I was primarily looking for some cheap Giants cards that I needed and wanted and ran across a copy of this card and paused.  I thought about adding it to my stack but realized that the card didn't really fit into my collection so I kept going.  A few handfuls later another copy of the same card presented itself so I flipped it over to the back, saw the price and added it to my stack.


I am not really certain what drew me to this card but I am still happy I picked it up.  Some of the things I like about it include the photo in catchers gear with his mask under his arm, despite its simplicity I think this is a nicely designed card and he has a nice, bold and almost readable signature.

Rick Dempsey was never a favorite of mine but I remember him from his days catching the Orioles in the early to mid 1980s.   He wasn't a great player but ended up being the World Series MVP after the Orioles 1983 World Series victory.  I remember him being recognized as a good defensive player and solid leader on the diamond.  For whatever reason those memories results in me adding this card to my collection.

I mentioned the back and the price and suspect the price tag helped me pull the trigger:

For only 3 bucks it seemed like a great deal.  I actually put together a little stack and the dealer gave me about 20% the labeled price.  I guess I can't beat adding a Just for the "F" of it card for about $2.50.

2 comments:

  1. $2.40 for the autograph of a WS MVP? Can't beat that price. Nice purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very nice looking card. Sweet find!

    ReplyDelete