Monday, August 19, 2019

McCovey Monday #94 - 2019 Allen and Ginter

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of almost 1400 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards on select Mondays.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

When I decided to start blogging again in the last couple weeks, I decided to take a different approach.  I think part of the reason I took a break was that it wasn't as much fun as it had been in the past and at the root of that was a shift in my goals around the blog.  When I started, it was to take part in the community and share the things I liked about my hobby.  Over time the number of comments and views started to drive my satisfaction level.  If I took a lot of time on a post or came up with what I thought was a particularly great idea that ended up with a low view count and no comments it bothered me.

I am not as creative or as talented of a writer as Night Owl.  I don't have tons of local card shows to attend and pick up cheap cardboard goodness on a budget like Dime Box.  My flea markets aren't loaded with tons of sports cards adn memorabilia like Fuji.  Those are some of the reasons that I enjoy their blogs and why I try to read them as often as possible.  As I reflected, I realized the fun for any blogger who does it for fun has to come from doing and sharing what you like in your blog.

Maybe my approach will come across as self-indulgent and maybe it is.  But, moving forward I just plan on sharing what feels right when I have some time to blog.  I am looking at this endeavor as a way to document my collecting journey and if anyone wants to go along on the journey with me that would be awesome.  I am definitely not trying to drive people away but I am not overly concerned about view counts.

If you have made it this far, you might wonder why these discussion points are leading off a McCovey Monday post.  This is my first McCovey Monday post in about 2 years and the primary reason I stopped posting about my favorite player collection was due to a lack of comments and page views whenever I posted one of these. I plan on starting them up again and will draw joy from sharing my McCovey cards - my new goal with blogging.

Today I am going to share the McCovey cards from one of the most recent Topps release that includes Willie Mac.


I was very happy to see McCovey included in this year's Allen & Ginter release.  The photo selection, the cropping of the picture and old stadium background make for a great card.  So far I have picked up the base card, the gold border parallel, the regular back mini and the Brooklyn back mini /25.  Super happy to track down the Brooklyn back.

I still have a ways to go with the card variations.  I don't realistically expect to pick up any of the 1/1s (there are 7 different 1/1s), the metal mini /3 or the X Mini Red /5.  So here is my want list for this year's McCovey Ginter set:

Ginter Greats insert
Mini A&G back
Mini Black Border
Mini Framed Cloth /10
Mini Gold Border
Mini No Number /50
Mini Stained Glass /25
Rip Card /50 (will take a ripped or unripped)
X base
X Mini

If you happened to pull any of these and are up for a trade drop me a note.  Look for some more McCovey Monday posts in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. I think self indulgence is the right approach when it comes to blogging. Thanks for showing off these mccovey cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's your blog... so you do your thing. I started my blog as a way to document my journey... and it's still one of the bigger reasons for writing. Although interacting with others is a very nice bonus.

    Best of luck on completing your 2019 McCovey Ginter set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on writing. I'm pretty sure blog stats miss most of the readers now anyway. I'm going to need to snap a gold Ginter at some point so I can check out the printing since it looks like they just slapped the gold ink on top of the existing name/branding.

    ReplyDelete