Thursday, August 22, 2019

Rapid Robert Finally Lands in My HOF Auto Collection

Quick post today but in my opinion an exciting add to my HOF Auto collection.  Bob Feller was a  fairly prevalent signer in the hobby until his passing in 2010 and his cards aren't too expensive or hard to come across so it was a little surprising to me that I hadn't added this icon to my HOF Auto collection.

I decided to pick up this 1999 Fleer Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game on card auto.  I really like the image on the card and when I can get an on card auto over a sticker auto it is preferred.



Bob's signature is nice and bold and as they did at the start of the auto insertion timeline, there is an embossed seal certifying from Fleer that the auto is authentic.

Feller started his career with the Indians in the major leagues as a 17 year old, never spending time in the minors.  His entire career was in Cleveland, over 20 years from start to finish, but it was interrupted by a 4-year stint serving America in World War II.  He was perhaps best known for his blazing fastball evidenced by his nicknames - Rapid Robert, Bullet Bob and The Heater from Van Meter. 

Feller threw 3 no-hitters and 12 one-hitters in his career and won 266 games with 2581 strikeouts, imagine how those stats would have been even better if he hadn't missed 3 full seasons and a big part of a 4th in the prime of his career. 

2 comments:

  1. Feller is one of my all-time favorites. I don't have many autos of HOFers, but he's one I made sure to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card! I feel like this is a really underrated autograph set. There are so many cool players who signed for this set.

    ReplyDelete