Monday, March 10, 2014

2014 Rickeys

I don't think I have ever told the story on this blog of meeting Rickey and getting his autograph and I need to one of these days.  My inflated ego will probably tell you during that story how I am responsible for Rickey's resurgence into the hobby over the last couple of years but that is another story for another day.

Today I want to share my first 3 pick ups for my Rickey collection in 2014.  He is a very photogenic player and his cards typically look pretty nice, you can judge these for yourself.

 First up is an insert from 2014 Topps, Before They Were Great.  This is a nice insert set (I still need quite a few for my set, let me know if you have some for trade) with a thick card stock and solid design.  To me it looks like they did go back and get pictures from very early in the player's careers and I do believe they did a nice job with Rickey's card.

 Next up is the 1989 Die Cut.  I am loving this card.  The coloring is great for the A's and this is much better than Rickey's original 1989 card picturing him as a Yankee.  I am closing in on finishing this insert set and this card has to be one of the best.  Rickey is looking bad ass with his flip up shades and eye black warming up in the outfield - it takes me right back to his playing days watching him at the Oakland Coliseum. 
The final card of the trio is this Rookie Class Commemorative Ring card. This is the silver version, the gold card is serial numbered to 99 and there is a gold gem version to 25.  Again Topps nails the photo with one in the right time frame for his rookie year.  I like the look of the stadium in the background.  I still don't get excited about the ring and award cards (they are tough to store due to their thickness and very heavy) but I have to say this is a nice addition to my Rickey collection.

So far so good with Rickey cards in 2014.  Got some work to do on the next Rickey post!

No comments:

Post a Comment