Monday, October 7, 2013

McCovey Monday #38 - 2013 Panini Cooperstown

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

For the second year in a row, Panini has released a Cooperstown set utilizing their HOF license.  The set is one of my favorites and for the second year in a row I am building the set and many of the insert sets.  I plan on a post in the next week or two going over the entire product and my status on the set completion.

In the meantime, I thought I would share the Willie McCovey cards I have picked up so far towards my McCovey set.  I haven't picked up an extra base card yet but have picked up 3 parallels:

 This is the green parallel and is unnumbered.
 This blue parallel is numbered 059/499.
 The red parallel is numbered 389/399.
Finally this is a Colgan's disc.  These are inserted 1 per pack and have a checklist of 165 cards.  I kind of like them but the size of the set is going to prevent me from going after it. They measure about 2 1/4" in diameter.

Decent start to but I still have some work to do.  Here is what I still need:

Base card
Gold Parallel /299
Matrix Parallel /325
Blue Pennant insert
Red Pennant insert

There is also a Black Crystal parallel numbered 1/1 and two autograph cards, one numbered to /40 the other to /10.  I am guessing these will all be out of our range.  I may be able to get lucky with the auto /40 but I haven't seen too many pop up and for whatever reason McCovey's autos have been escalating in price.

No comments:

Post a Comment