Monday, October 21, 2013

McCovey Monday #39 - 1967 Topps Venezuelan

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

It is very challenging to knock a card from the 60s off my Willie McCovey want list.  The cards I need are pretty rare, and I consider all of them as oddballs.  Some are Topps inserts and test issues, some Bazooka items and a few Topps cards that were produced in Venezuela.  After this new purchase, I am down to 2 League Leader cards of the Venezuelan variety.  Check it out:

I am not a mint condition junkie but I do typically try for cards in as good of condition as possible.  I have learned when it comes to Venezuelan cards, good condition isn't typically available and when it is prices are outside my range.  On the front you can see a stain near his face.  It also appears the card has been trimmed.

While the card fronts are typically the same on Venezuelan issues, the backs are usually quite different as you can see here.  I could probably try and translate this using my 3 years of high school Spanish but I haven't taken the time yet.  You can see the stain from the front coming through.  There is also paper loss.  Many of these Venezuelan issues have paper loss as it appears many were pasted into notebooks.

Despite its flaws, I am very happy to have this in my collection and to knock a card from back in 1967 off my McCovey want list.

3 comments:

  1. Spanish - English translation (not as literal as I usually like it, but this makes the most sense):

    Since he began his career in the Major Leagues as the National League Rookie of the Year in 1959, the giant McCovey has became known as one of the strongest hitters. In two games, he has hit three homeruns. In the last two years, he has been the best hitter on the club. For two seasons, he was the leader in home runs and doubles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and that's an awesome card, that's the only McCovey that I have, though it's not the Venezuelan version.

      Delete