Monday, October 28, 2013

McCovey Monday #40 - 2013 Topps Chasing History Gold Relic 23/99

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I just realized I am closing in on 1200 different McCovey cards, I am just a handful away.  Today's card to celebrate the Giants great is a Series 2 Topps Flagship release, check it out:


This card is the Gold Parallel Chasing History relic of Stretch celebrating his 1969 NL MVP award.  If you look in the bottom right you can see a serial number of 23/99.  I was happy to pick this up, it seems like these newer release relics are starting to carry a little bit of a premium.

When relics started appearing in the hobby I preferred a jersey piece over a bat piece but my preferences have changes over the years and I seem to appreciate bat pieces more.  I was glad to see this relic contain a piece of one of the most feared hitters of all times bat.

No comments:

Post a Comment