Monday, September 3, 2012

McCovey Monday #19

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I recently picked up this card on Sportlots and while it isn't new to my collection, it was a condition upgrade.  Also, the one I had before will now slip nicely into my Giants binder.  Here is a look at the card:

 Obviously this isn't in mint condition but it is a little better than the one I had before, plus the price was right at under a dollar.  I have always liked and appreciated the 1971 set although the black borders make it tough to get cards in great condition.  I like the lowercase script for the player name and the letter coloring of the Team, Name and Position works for me for some reason.  Also I was born in 1971 so I think that helps give it a special place.  Oddly, I have every set from 1976 forward plus 1974, I am almost done with my 1975 set, I am working on sets from 1970 and 1973 but I haven't even entertained going after this one.  I also have more 1972 cards than 1971 - this is something I might need to remedy soon.

 Oh yeah, I have been talking about the 1971 Topps set but this card was printed in Canada - it is the O Pee Chee set, here is the back where it becomes crystal clear.

I will never go after the O Pee Chee set but boy these backs do not disappoint.  I love the floating head in the middle and the yellow coloring on the back.  I can't read a lick of French so that doesn't do much for me but I do like the First year info and the nice little write up.

Another nice pick up for the McCovey player collection and this time helps out on the Giants binders as wells.

No comments:

Post a Comment